Journey To the End of the Earth (Well, Almost...)

Stories from Antarctica

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Pax Antarctica

This week actually felt like a normal week, making it the longest week so far. Not because it is a bad week, I think only because I have settled into a routine as FTL. I also started sleeping in a tent in the "backyard" (the rock outcrop between station and the glacier). Earlier this week I had an amazing experience lying on a rock, watching the glacier calve. As I was watching, the tide started to go out, carrying a field of brash ice at first so slowly I thought it was an optical illusion, but soon currents of loose ice formed around bergy bits. Then a giant reptilian head peeked over one of the bergs, disappeared and returned on a nearby chunk. It was a leopard seal looking for a meal or possibly a flat piece of ice to nap on. All the while I was sitting on my chase-lounge-esque boulder, sipping my corona, watching the colors change over the glacier as the sun set behind me. Truly, as the bilboard says, living at the speed of corona light. The whole experience was so peaceful, so zen like. I felt as if I were part of it all, enlightened? And wednesday was taco day... It was a pretty good week.


More pictures.

Group from the Rotterdam. Can penguins get elephantitis?

Princess' helicopter landing in the backyard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home