Journey To the End of the Earth (Well, Almost...)

Stories from Antarctica

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Let's do the time warp

I made it through the first month! Err, wait, was that the first week? Maybe the first day, since it hasn't gotten dark yet? Whatever the case, I made it! And it has been great. I am settling into our sampling routine. We had a couple very successful days of krilling, couple unsuccessful days of hydroacoustics, but I am figuring out the process, so that's good. We do a series of experiments, measurements on each catch. Length frequencies, Length weight ratios and molting experiments, etc. Gotta love that lab work...

Station life is very comfortable. Other than my bunk bed. They somehow managed to pack a cylindrical XS (extra short) twin two feet from the ceiling and 8 feet from the floor. I feel like a fat guy trying on a wetsuit two sizes too small everytime I get into bed. From the 3 story free ascent up to the balancing act on top, there is never a stable moment until I strap myself down between the sheets, lock my feet under the foot board and cranium against the headboard. Perhaps there is a reason the bars on either side of the bed are 65 inches apart (i'm 74.5 inches long, to paint the picture), so the user can lock himself into place. Just one more reason I miss my queen sleep number. And flannel sheets.

The NSF has an arts and writers grant that reserves funding for arty things. We are fortunate enough to have a glass artist here on station using ice to create molds for glass. His name is David Ruth (apparently he has known Dante for a long time (Small world, eh?)). It is fascinating to see what he has and is doing with molded glass. And easy to see how his previous work brought him to sea ice. http://davidruth.blogspot.com/ Cool stuff.

2.5 weeks until my krill team leaves on the LTER cruise, thus making me Field Team Leader and solely responsible for all of the krill research conducted at the station for the rest of the summer!?!? That will be interesting. And sad to see them go. Sunday is our day off, so I'm gonna make like today and take off.

1 Comments:

At 18/12/06 19:27, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alex,
Wow!!!!!!! You are way cool....(no pun intended :<)
I think you are safer there then here. We had a big storm....90 mile an hour winds on Whidbey...really it was fun to have the power out for 2 1/2 days...cooked on the woodstove and talked by the fire.....looking forward to more news....isn't it Summer Solstice coming up for you....well, Merry Christmas.....love and peace, Julie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home